In July 2019, dozens of pro-abortion organizations (think: Planned Parenthood, the ACLU, NARAL, etc.) released their “Blueprint for Sexual and Reproductive Health, Rights, and Justice,” which details their shared public policy goals. A lot of it is what you might expect: women need abortion, taxpayers should fund abortion, health care professionals should be required to perform abortions... You get the picture.
But buried in the document is also this: “Congress must pass and the administration should properly and swiftly implement the Equality Act.”
The so-called “Equality Act” is a proposed piece of legislation that would add “sexual orientation” and “gender identity” as protected statuses in federal nondiscrimination law. President Joe Biden has promised to sign the “Equality Act” into law during his first 100 days if given the chance. And with a Democrat-controlled House and Senate, the odds that this bill will become law are higher than ever.
While it might sound innocent enough, the “Equality Act” poses severe threats to your freedoms. We’ve already explored how this legislation would negatively impact business owners, churches and religious schools, adoption and foster care providers, and anyone who values free speech.
But passing this legislation will have even more far-reaching—and deadly—implications, which is why the abortion industry has taken such an interest.
The “Equality Act” and Abortion
So, what does the “Equality Act” have to do with abortion? Quite a bit, actually.
Ultimately, the “Equality Act” could be used to require doctors, businesses, and taxpayers to support and participate in abortion.
The “Equality Act” states that “pregnancy, childbirth, or a related medical condition [which includes abortion] shall not receive less favorable treatment than other physical conditions.” It also specifically eliminates conscience protections provided by the Religious Freedom Restoration Act for those who object to participating in abortions.
Here's what that means:
- The “Equality Act” could require doctors and hospitals to commit abortions—even if they have religious or moral objections.
- The “Equality Act” offers no protections for employers who conscientiously object to covering abortion in their health care plans, leaving the door open for abortion advocates to argue that the Act requires them to provide abortion coverage.
- The “Equality Act” could require the federal government and recipients of federal funding to cover abortion in their health care plans—all at the taxpayer's expense.
ADF Defends Those Who Defend Life
The good news is that God has equipped ADF to stand for freedom in such a time as this. ADF has won nearly 80 percent of its cases, including 11 victories at the Supreme Court since 2011. And we have a strong track record of defending the rights of pro-life organizations and individuals in courts nationwide.
- ADF has successfully represented many health care professionals who do not want to perform or participate in abortions in violation of their beliefs.
- ADF has won more than 20 lawsuits against the Obamacare HHS mandate that forced many employers to cover abortifacient drugs and devices in their private health plans. And we continue to represent March for Life in its effort to operate according to its pro-life beliefs by not providing abortion through its health insurance coverage.
- ADF is defending churches in California and Washington state that are being forced to pay for surgical abortions in their health care plans in violation of their beliefs.
We know threats to the sanctity of life will only continue—which is why we need your help today.
Will you commit to standing for the American promises of life and liberty upon which this nation was founded?
Every generation faces a unique moment when it is called on to protect the guarantee of liberty enshrined in our Constitution. This is our moment. This is your moment.
If you believe that the American promises of life and liberty are worth defending, please sign the statement.
- I stand for America’s founding principles: that all men are created equal with inalienable, God-given rights.
- I stand against any unlawful effort by the Biden administration to restrict my constitutional liberties.
- I stand for freedom and will join Alliance Defending Freedom to preserve free speech, religious freedom, the sanctity of life, parental rights, and marriage and family.
Religious FreedomFormer Planned Parenthood Employee Uncovers Fraudulent Business Practices
Over the years, Sue Thayer witnessed increasingly questionable business practices throughout Planned Parenthood.
LifeThe Truth About Legislation Protecting Medical Workers’ Right to ‘Do No Harm’
No American should be forced to violate their ethical and religious beliefs—doctors, nurses, and other medical providers are no different.