President Joe Biden’s public stance on abortion is nothing short of radical. And with his campaign promises, we can only expect the threats to the sanctity of human life to increase.
Here are just three things the Biden campaign promised to do:
1. Codify Roe v. Wade into federal law
The Biden campaign has expressed support for requiring states to allow legal abortion even if Roe were overturned.
2. Threaten state-level abortion restrictions
Both President Biden and Vice President Kamala Harris voiced opposition to state laws limiting abortion—including commonsense laws such as those requiring abortion businesses to meet basic health standards for surgical facilities. Harris has voted against the Pain-Capable Unborn Child Protection Act in Congress, which would ban abortions at 20 weeks.
3. Promote taxpayer funding of abortion
President Biden renounced his former support for the Hyde Amendment, which keeps abortion giants like Planned Parenthood from directly spending taxpayer money on abortions. While campaigning, Biden announced support for passing the Equal Rights Amendment, which could turn taxpayer funding of abortion into a federal right, and said he would rescind the Mexico City Policy, which prevents federal funding from going toward pro-abortion organizations in other countries.
This open hostility toward the sanctity of human life is alarming. And it’s been going on for way too long.
What About the Right to Life?
Today we celebrate the National Sanctity of Human Life Day, remembering the more than 60 million lives lost to abortion since the 1973 U.S. Supreme Court decision in Roe v. Wade—which legalized abortion across the country.
Every year, millions of human lives are treated as inconvenient and disposable, simply because they haven’t yet been born.
But America was founded on the fundamental principles that all people are created equal and that we are endowed by our Creator with inalienable rights.
Don’t those principles apply to all human life?
Unborn humans are humans. That is a scientific fact. Yet they are denied what should be the most fundamental, the most inalienable right of all: the right to life.
If we fail to live up to our foundational principles for the smallest and most vulnerable, then those principles are in jeopardy for us all.
But we’ve also made encouraging strides. Since 1990, the annual number of abortions has been steadily decreasing. The past four years have seen more states passing laws that protect life in the womb. Taxpayer money has been directed away from the abortion industry—both federally and internationally. This is widely considered the most pro-life generation ever.
But there is still more work to do.
ADF Stands Ready to Defend Life
Where the sanctity of human life is threatened, you can be sure that ADF will continue to provide a strong defense in courts nationwide—including all the way to the Supreme Court if necessary.
ADF stands for life in cases across the country, defending pro-life legislation and pro-life advocates. And we continue to advocate for our government officials to stop funneling taxpayer money to the abortion industry. Here are just a few of the ways we’re defending life:
- ADF represented pro-life pregnancy centers in California, where a law forced them to provide free advertising for the abortion industry. ADF took this case all the way to the Supreme Court, which ruled that the government can’t force faith-based charities to speak a message against their beliefs.
- ADF represented pro-life sidewalk counselors in Pittsburgh, where a local ordinance prohibits free-speech activities outside of abortion clinics. This law not only targeted pro-life sidewalk counselors but also contradicted U.S. Supreme Court precedent in another case ADF played a role in, McCullen v. Coakley, which struck down such laws as unconstitutional. We took the case to the court of appeals, which ruled that Pittsburgh can’t enforce the ordinance against pro-life sidewalk counselors.
- ADF has successfully represented a number of health care professionals who do not want to perform or participate in abortions in violation of their beliefs.
- ADF is currently defending an informed-consent law in North Dakota, which simply requires abortion providers to give women vital information before they undergo an abortion. This information includes the scientific fact that abortion ends the life of a human being and the fact that it may be possible for her to reverse the effects of the chemical-abortion process if she changes her mind.
- ADF is also defending a church in Washington state, which is being forced to pay for surgical abortions in its health care plan in violation of its beliefs.
We know this won’t be an easy path. But we also know that God is in control. And he has equipped ADF to stand for freedom in such a time as this. ADF has won nearly 80 percent of its cases, including 11 victories at the U.S. Supreme Court since 2011.
As one of the greatest human rights tragedies of our time continues to happen right now, we need your help. It is critical that you stand with us for the American promises of life and liberty today.
Every generation faces a unique moment when it is called on to protect the guarantee of liberty enshrined in our Constitution. This is our moment. Today, you can help defend the American promises of life and liberty.
If you believe these American promises are worth defending, please sign the statement.
- I stand for America’s founding principles: that all men are created equal with inalienable, God-given rights.
- I stand against any unlawful effort by the Biden administration to restrict my constitutional liberties.
- I stand for freedom and will join Alliance Defending Freedom to preserve free speech, religious freedom, the sanctity of life, parental rights, and marriage and family.
LifeWhy the “Equality Act” Is Bad News for Unborn Babies and Those Who Defend Them
Passing this legislation will have far-reaching—and deadly—implications, which is why the abortion industry has taken such an interest.
LifeADF Friend-of-the-Court Brief Aims to Help Tennessee Defend Life
ADF has submitted an amicus brief in support of Tennessee’s efforts to defend the most vulnerable of lives.
LifeThis Study Reveals the Disturbing Truth About Chemical Abortions
Chemical abortions are marketed as an easy, convenient way to have an abortion. But a recent study highlights the devastating effects they can have on women.