ADF report: Planned Parenthood’s years-long pattern of ignoring child sexual abuse, enabling predators
GREENWOOD VILLAGE, Colo. – A report Alliance Defending Freedom issued Thursday catalogs multiple instances of Planned Parenthood performing abortions on sexually abused minors and failing to report the rapes to authorities as required by law. Affiliates of Planned Parenthood Federation of America instead accepted money for the abortions and allowed the rapists to roam free without any notification to the proper authorities.
“Americans shouldn’t be forced to subsidize a scandal-plagued, billion-dollar corporation,” said ADF Legal Counsel Natalie Decker. “The recent CMP undercover videos have revealed only the latest scandal. As our report demonstrates and documents, Planned Parenthood has been involved for many years in performing abortions on underage, sexually abused girls and letting their rapists go free, many times to go on abusing the same girl or other children.”
The report presents a pattern of Planned Parenthood incidents involving sexually abused minors in Alabama, Arizona, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Minnesota, and Ohio.
“Over and over again, across the country, Planned Parenthood has been accused of ignoring mandatory sex abuse reporting laws, inevitably resulting in the continued victimization of young children,” the report explains. “In some instances, Planned Parenthood has been directly sued for failure to report sexual abuse or to notify parents of minor children seeking abortions, whereas in other instances the fact that Planned Parenthood failed to report sexual abuse of a child becomes evident in a criminal case. In both of these situations, the child victim is brought in for an abortion and, because no report is made to the proper authorities, no investigation is initiated and the abuse is permitted to continue.”
“Our report adds to the growing mountain of information that makes defunding Planned Parenthood a clear priority,” said ADF Senior Counsel and former U.S. Attorney Michael J. Norton. “Thousands of true community health centers can be trusted with our hard-earned money. Planned Parenthood has proven for decades that it can’t be trusted. The only thing it’s entitled to is a federal investigation.” (#DefundPP)
In addition to this report, ADF has provided a regularly updated report to Congress that identifies waste, abuse, and potential fraud by Planned Parenthood, state family planning programs, and other organizations. ADF has also filed a complaint in Colorado that asks a state agency to investigate two Rocky Mountain Planned Parenthood employees involved in performing an abortion on a raped 13-year-old girl and not reporting her rapist to authorities.
Additionally, ADF is litigating lawsuits, including Norton v. Rocky Mountain Planned Parenthood and Thayer v. Planned Parenthood of the Heartland, that allege misuse of taxpayer dollars.
Alliance Defending Freedom is an alliance-building, non-profit legal organization that advocates for the right of people to freely live out their faith.
# # #
Major source documents for ADF report
- Alabama Department of Public Health statement of deficiency: Planned Parenthood of Alabama (2014-11-21)
- Amended complaint: Doe v. Planned Parenthood of Northern and Central Arizona (2002-06-27)
- Docket sheet (case history): Doe v. Planned Parenthood of Northern and Central Arizona
- Booking record: Tyler Kost (2014-05-01)
- Pinal County Sheriff's Office letter: Tyler Kost / Planned Parenthood (2014-05-13)
- Notice of supervening indictment and complaint: State of Arizona v. Kost (2014-05-28)
- California Court of Appeal opinion: People v. Cross (2005-11-28)
- California Supreme Court order granting review: People v. Cross (2006-03-01)
- California Supreme Court opinion: People v. Cross (2008-08-28)
- Sentencing statement: People of the State of California v. King (2009-11-19)
- California Court of Appeal opinion: People v. Ramirez (2014-02-21)
- Deposition of Jamie Skarvan: Sisk v. Rocky Mountain Planned Parenthood (2014-12-11)
- Deposition of Laura Hurwitz: Sisk v. Rocky Mountain Planned Parenthood (2014-12-15)
- Third amended complaint: Sisk v. Rocky Mountain Planned Parenthood (2014-12-22)
- Motion to amend complaint to add claim for punitive damages: Sisk v. Rocky Mountain Planned Parenthood (2014-12-22)
- Court order granting motion to amend complaint to add claim for punitive damages: Sisk v. Rocky Mountain Planned Parenthood (2015-01-20)
- Notice of settlement: Sisk v. Rocky Mountain Planned Parenthood (2015-03-10)
- Affidavit of New London Police Department: Kevon Walker (2006-12-05)
- Disposition: Kevon Walker (2007-04-12 to 2012-01-25)
- Affidavit of Bloomfield Police Department: Adam Gault (2007-07-31)
- Minnesota Court of Appeals opinion: State of Minnesota v. Frederick (2014-04-21)
- Ohio Court of Appeals opinion: Roe v. Planned Parenthood Southwest Ohio Region (2007-08-24)
- Ohio Supreme Court opinion: Roe v. Planned Parenthood Southwest Ohio Region (2009-07-01)
- Affidavit of Parma Police Department: Joseph Coles (2006-03-28)
- Case information and indictment: State of Ohio v. Coles (2006-11-21)
- Ohio Court of Appeals opinion: State of Ohio v. Coles (2008-10-02)
- U.S. District Court order: Coles v. Smith (2013-02-07)