- February 23, 2016Alliance Defending Freedom sent a letter Monday on behalf of a student group to California State University, Los Angeles, for charging the group unconstitutional fees in order to exercise its freedom of speech. The university president responded immediately by cancelling the event, having “decided that it will be best” to include the speaker in a “more inclusive event” featuring “a group of speakers with differing viewpoints on diversity.” The student organization, Young Americans for Freedom, is now considering a lawsuit against the university.
- February 9, 2016Lexington, Ky., printer Blaine Adamson of Hands On Originals declined to print expressive shirts promoting the Lexington Pride Festival, hosted by the Gay and Lesbian Services Organization, because he did not want to convey the messages printed on the shirts. He nevertheless offered to connect the organization to another printer that would produce the shirts for the same price that he would have charged. Unsatisfied, GLSO filed a complaint with the Lexington-Fayette Urban County Human Rights Commission and alleged illegal discrimination despite eventually obtaining the shirts for free from another printer.
- February 8, 2016Briefs filed with US Supreme Court include 13 states, 38 pharmacy associations, more than 4,600 medical professionals.
- February 8, 2016ADF attorneys file reply brief with Washington Supreme Court on behalf of Barronelle Stutzman, targeted for her beliefs.
- February 5, 2016Alliance Defending Freedom attorneys filed a lawsuit in state court against the California Department of Managed Health Care for forcing churches to pay for elective abortions in their health insurance plans.
- February 4, 2016Alliance Defending Freedom filed a friend-of-the-court brief with the U.S. Supreme Court on behalf of five groups representing thousands of physicians and other medical professionals who support the Texas women’s safety law known as House Bill 2.
- February 2, 2016ADF-allied attorney represents congregation that city of Lansing prevented from using community rooms other groups use.