Symposium: Religious liberty before the Supreme Court
WHO: Attorneys with Alliance Defending Freedom, the Jones Day law firm, and the American Civil Liberties Union; Supreme Court correspondents from The New York Times and USA Today
WHAT: “American Culture on Appeal” symposium series: “Religious liberty before the Supreme Court”
WHEN: Friday, Sept. 16, 1 p.m. to 6 p.m. EDT
WHERE: Jones Day, Seventh Floor, 51 Louisiana Ave. NW, Washington (two blocks from the Capitol Building), or watch via live stream
ADMISSION FREE, LUNCH PROVIDED
Doors open at 12:30 p.m. EDT | Symposium from 1-4 p.m. EDT; reception to immediately follow
Only one religious freedom case is currently before the Supreme Court this upcoming term: Trinity Lutheran Church of Columbia v. Pauley. Trinity Lutheran is a case about a religious preschool that was rejected from a state program that provides reimbursement grants to purchase rubberized surface material (tire scraps) for children’s playgrounds. The preschool was ultimately denied the grant for its playground solely because the playground belongs to a religious organization. At its core, the Trinity Lutheran playground case strikes at the heart of American jurisprudence, asking: What is fair play in a pluralistic society?
Join legal experts from Alliance Defending Freedom, Jones Day, and the American Civil Liberties Union for a two-panel conversation, including Q&A, on Constitution Day examining the implications of Trinity Lutheran and treatment of religious freedom and conscience rights by our nation’s highest court:
Panel I: “Tire Scraps and Religious Liberty: Defining fair play on a preschool playground at the Court.”
- Moderator: Adam Liptak, Supreme Court correspondent, The New York Times
- David Cortman, senior counsel and vice president of US Litigation, Alliance Defending Freedom
- C. Kevin Marshall, partner, Jones Day
- Daniel Mach, director of ACLU program on freedom of religion and belief, American Civil Liberties Union
Panel II, ending with Q&A: “Religious Liberty at SCOTUS: An ominous sign or everything’s fine?”
- Moderator: Rich Wolf, Supreme Court correspondent, USA Today
- Kristen Waggoner, senior counsel and senior vice president of US legal advocacy, Alliance Defending Freedom
- Steffen N. Johnson, partner, Winston & Strawn
- Louise Melling, deputy legal director and director of Center for Liberty, American Civil Liberties Union
Questions? Contact ADF Communications Director Kerri Kupec at email@example.com.
Alliance Defending Freedom is an alliance-building, non-profit legal organization that advocates for the right of people to freely live out their faith.
# # #