ADF attorney, former Atlanta fire chief to testify before Congress on FADA Tuesday
WHO: Alliance Defending Freedom Senior Counsel Kristen Waggoner, former Atlanta Fire Chief Kelvin Cochran, and others
WHAT: Hearing on Religious Liberty and H.R. 2802, the First Amendment Defense Act
WHEN: Tuesday, July 12, at 10 a.m. EDT
WHERE: House Committee on Oversight and Government Reform, Rayburn House Office Building, Room 2154, 45 Independence Ave. SW, Washington
Participants will discuss how the Supreme Court’s Obergefell v. Hodges ruling affects individuals who and organizations that maintain a sincerely held religious belief or moral conviction about marriage and will review how FADA can ensure Americans are not treated unfairly by the government for such a belief or conviction. Participants include the following:
- Kristen Waggoner, senior counsel and senior vice president of US legal advocacy, Alliance Defending Freedom
- Kelvin Cochran, former Atlanta fire chief, former U.S. fire administrator in the Obama administration, and ADF client in Cochran v. City of Atlanta
- Mike Lee, U.S. senator, R-Utah
- Raúl Labrador, U.S. congressman, R-Idaho, 1st Congressional District
- Barney Frank, former U.S. congressman, D-Mass., 4th Congressional District
- Matthew J. Franck, Ph.D.
- Jim Obergefell, plaintiff in Obergefell v. Hodges
- Katherine Franke, Isidor and Seville Sulzbacher professor of law and director of the Center for Gender and Sexuality Law, Columbia School of Law
Alliance Defending Freedom is an alliance-building, non-profit legal organization that advocates for the right of people to freely live out their faith.
# # #