- The House Select Investigative Panel on Infant Lives recommended that Planned Parenthood be defunded earlier this month.
- 15 states have already defunded the abortion giant.
- Demand for abortion has dropped more than 40 percent over the past 25 years, making the abortion rate today lower than it was in 1972 – the year before Roe v. Wade.
- And, we have elected a president who said that he will appoint pro-life justices to the Supreme Court.
This is good news, and these are steps in the right direction. But the battle is not over, and if we want to continue this momentum, one thing is for certain.
We cannot become complacent.
There is no doubt that we have seen some amazing victories for the sanctity of life. But still the attacks continue. Even if the Supreme Court were to overturn Roe v. Wade, which we are more optimistic about than ever before, pro-abortion advocates are not going away.
Here are just a few ways Planned Parenthood, the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU), and other pro-abortion groups are working to advance their agenda:
1. Increasing federal election campaign contributions by over $19 million from 2008 to 2014
Planned Parenthood receives $500 million in taxpayer funding each year. In order to keep this funding, Planned Parenthood poured over $22 million into campaign donation funds in 2012 and 2014, almost all of which went to Democratic candidates. Their extreme efforts to keep their cronies in office helps ensure the cycle of funding will continue.
2. Working to block Defund Planned Parenthood efforts and secure funding for the abortion giant
After the Center for Medical Progress released their authenticated undercover videos showing Planned Parenthood executives haggling over baby body parts, states jumped into action to halt taxpayer funds flowing to the group. But Planned Parenthood and its allies went to work to block defund efforts at the state and the federal level. And so far, they’ve succeeded.
3. Sponsoring legislation that would silence abortion critics
In California, Planned Parenthood worked directly with the state attorney general to pass legislation that would criminalize journalists who distribute recordings of abortion providers. Unfortunately, that law is now on the books in California. And there’s a good chance they’ll try to replicate this legislation in other states.
4. Suing Catholic health institutions for holding to Catholic teachings on the sanctity of life
The ACLU sued a Catholic hospital system for refusing to commit abortions in accordance with Catholic teaching on the sanctity of life. Thankfully, that lawsuit was thrown out. But the ACLU didn’t learn their lesson. They sued the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops for expressing their view that abortion is unethical because it kills human beings. They lost. Again. But something tells me that won’t stop them.
5. Working to pass laws that would force pro-life healthcare professionals to promote abortions
Laws have been passed in California and Illinois that would force pro-life healthcare professionals to promote and refer for abortions in violation of their faith. Pro-life healthcare professionals should not be forced into abortion advocacy by the state. Thankfully, the Illinois court agreed. Unfortunately – the California court did not.
We have a tremendous opportunity before us to continue this momentum for the sanctity of life. But we cannot lose sight of this fact: The threats will continue.
Alliance Defending Freedom is committed to defending the sanctity of life. But we need your help. Your prayers and financial support can provide the resources we need to be able to respond to this historic opportunity. Please stand with us to restore a culture of life by giving today.
LifeThis New Bill Could Mandate Unrestricted Access to Abortion
While claiming to protect women’s health, this legislation fails to acknowledge the physical and mental toll abortion has on women—to say nothing of the unborn female lives being aborted.
Religious FreedomBiden Moves to Fund Abortions With Your Taxpayer Money
This adds another bold pro-abortion move to the list of egregious actions taken by President Biden.
Religious FreedomFormer Planned Parenthood Employee Uncovers Fraudulent Business Practices
Over the years, Sue Thayer witnessed increasingly questionable business practices throughout Planned Parenthood.