Planned Parenthood has been working overtime to try to preserve its image and maintain its death grip on our tax dollars over the last six months. They've tried everything from celebrity endorsements to social campaigns, but the fact remains: there are too many reasons why we should defund this scandal-ridden organization.
Many of the points below—on their own—should be reason enough for Congress to cut off the over $500 million that Planned Parenthood receives each year. But together, they provide overwhelming evidence that it's time to stop the abortion giant from receiving one more cent of our hard-earned tax dollars.
1. Haggling over the price and sale of baby body parts. Undercover videos captured by the Center for Medical Progress show top Planned Parenthood officials describing how they go about collecting “specimens” by changing abortion methods and then coyly negotiating prices for such body parts. Profiting from the sale of human organs is against the law.
2. Failing to report the sexual abuse of young girls. Planned Parenthood has a history of ignoring child sexual abuse and enabling predators. ADF has identified 12 known examples in recent years. Planned Parenthood has been sued for failure to report sexual abuse or notify parents of minor children seeking abortions at its clinics on multiple occasions.
3. Failing to provide women with proper care. Planned Parenthood is primarily concerned with offering the “service” of abortion, not with promoting women’s health and well-being. There are thousands of other federally qualified healthcare centers for women. Those can be found at GetYourCare.org with data provided by Health and Human Services. These clinics outnumber Planned Parenthood clinics by a ratio of close to 20:1, and some even provide mammograms. No Planned Parenthood clinics offer mammograms.
4. Promoting risky sexual behavior in children. Planned Parenthood promotes a casual attitude toward sex, starting with kindergarten-aged children. They hand out condoms that are packaged to look like candy and even built a website for college students to brag about where and when they had sex. This is often done with your tax dollars. Planned Parenthood negotiates its way into public schools to teach sex education courses. And why not? Selling sex to youngsters creates a continuous cycle of customers.
5. Misusing taxpayer funds. Planned Parenthood has been sued on multiple occasions for its fraudulent use of tax dollars. The organization receives $1.2 million in taxpayer money every day, adding up to over half a billion tax dollars each year. Yet in 2013, Planned Parenthood Gulf Coast, the Texas and Louisiana-based affiliate, paid $4.3 million to settle a fraud investigation. Other lawsuits include one brought by Sue Thayer, a former clinic director, who alleges nearly $28 million in “repeated false, fraudulent, and/or ineligible claims for reimbursements” to Medicaid.
6. Killing children in the womb. More than 7 million pre-born babies have died as a result of their moms visiting Planned Parenthood. As the nation’s largest abortion provider, Planned Parenthood has built an empire by ending the lives of the most vulnerable among us and denying millions of Americans their most basic and fundamental right: the right to life.
7. Considering—and possibly utilizing—illegal abortion procedures. Undercover videos from the Center for Medical Progress reveal Planned Parenthood abortion doctors discussing how they could alter the abortion procedure in order to increase the likelihood of intact “specimens” or baby cadavers. Doing so raises serious concerns about partial birth abortion, where babies are delivered alive and then killed. They also describe how they could alter the drug protocol for abortive women in order to preserve the baby body parts for research. This activity is not focused on the woman’s interests and is against the law.
8. Disregarding the safety of women and children. Despite prior claims to want abortion “safe, legal, and rare,” Planned Parenthood has fought against common sense laws that would help women and children, including those that would protect infants born alive after botched abortions, limit abortions after the 20-week period (with some exceptions) where science has proven that babies feel pain and where the risk to the mother’s health is much higher, and laws that require better care for women and higher safety standards in abortion clinics.
9. Failing to uphold safe health standards. Planned Parenthood claims to improve women’s health, yet many women have suffered, or even died, after failed abortion procedures at their facilities. Many clinics in their network fail to meet minimal health and safety standards. As recently as August 2015, investigators in Florida cited four Planned Parenthood clinics for violations including performing second-trimester abortions without a license. And in November 2015, South Carolina fined Planned Parenthood for disposing of fetal tissue in the local landfill.
10. Using abortion to fund extravagances. Last year alone, Planned Parenthood made a profit of $127 million dollars. Over the last ten years, it has brought in an excess of $765 million. At the same time, Planned Parenthood has hosted elaborate fund-raising events for high-profile celebrity donors. A House Oversight Committee recent report details over $5 million on travel in 2013. That’s nearly $14,000 per day! Planned Parenthood has created a lucrative business and doesn’t need taxpayer support.
Join the Movement to Defund Planned Parenthood
Not since Roe v. Wade have we had such an important opportunity to stand up for the over 300,000 innocent lives that are being taken in Planned Parenthood clinics across the country each year. We are making progress, but there is still a lot of work to be done, and we can't sit around waiting for the President to act. Visit www.ADFlegal.org/DefundPP to join the movement to defund Planned Parenthood in your state today.