Gianna Jessen and Melissa Ohden lead pretty different lives. Gianna lives in Tennessee and Melissa in Missouri. Gianna loves music and is a self-described adventuress. She also has cerebral palsy. Melissa has a master's degree in social work and is a wife and mother.
Their lives have taken different paths, and yet, Melissa and Gianna's paths have crossed more than once. They are united by a shared history and a shared future. You see, Gianna and Melissa are abortion survivors. They both survived saline abortions in 1977 that were meant to take their lives in the womb.
Melissa describes it like this:
"A saline infusion abortion involves injecting a toxic salt solution into the amniotic fluid surrounding the preborn child. The intent of that salt solution is to scald the child to death, from the outside in. For days, I soaked in that toxic salt solution, and on the fifth day of the procedure, my biological mother, a 19-year-old college student, delivered me after her labor was induced. I should have been delivered dead, as a successful abortion."
But Melissa didn't die. Neither did Gianna. Her story is similar:
"Instead of dying, after 18 hours of being burned in my mother’s womb, I was delivered alive in an abortion clinic in Los Angeles on April the 6, 1977... Thankfully, the abortionist was not at work yet. Had he been there, he would have ended my life with strangulation, suffocation, or leaving me there to die. Instead, a nurse called an ambulance, and I was rushed to a hospital. Doctors did not expect me to live. I did. I was later diagnosed with Cerebral Palsy, which was caused by a lack of oxygen to my brain while surviving the abortion. "
Melissa and Gianna have experienced the horrors of abortion firsthand and have committed their lives to sharing the truth about abortion and fighting to end this inhumane practice. Yesterday, they had the opportunity to share their stories at a House Judiciary Committee hearing. The hearing was the first in a series that will examine Planned Parenthood's barbaric abortion practices and the sale of baby body parts revealed by numerous undercover videos recorded by The Center for Medical Progress.
As I watched these two brave women speak in front of multiple U.S. Representatives, pro-life supporters, and even Planned Parenthood executives, I couldn't help but marvel at their composure, their passion, and their ability to see beauty in the middle of the ugliness of the failed attempts to end their lives. They have decided to let God use their circumstances for good and to fight back against those who are trying to convince women that ripping innocent children from their wombs is their best chance for a brighter future.
Here are a few excerpts and the full videos of their powerful testimonies:
- "Planned Parenthood is not ashamed of what they have done or continue to do. But we will have to give an account as a nation, before God, for our apathy and for the murder of over 50 million children in the womb."
- "How many children have died, and been dismembered, and their parts sold, for our ego, our convenience, and our promiscuity? How many Lamborghini’s were purchased with the blood of innocent children?"
- "I would ask Planned Parenthood the following questions: If abortion is about women’s rights, then what were mine? You continuously use the argument, 'If the baby is disabled, we need to terminate the pregnancy,' as if you can determine the quality of someone’s life. Is my life less valuable due to my cerebral palsy?"
- "Planned Parenthood receives $500 million dollars of taxpayer money a year, to primarily destroy and dismember babies. Do not tell me these are not children. A heartbeat proves that. So does 4-d ultrasound. So do I, and so does the fact that they are selling human organs for profit.
- "327,653. This is the number of abortions that Planned Parenthood’s 2014 fiscal report lists as being completed that year. Based on these numbers, 897 children will lose their lives to an abortion completed by Planned Parenthood each and every day. Why do I find this horrific? Because I have a lot in common with these children. I was meant to be one of them. I should have been just another statistic. But by the grace of God, I am more than a statistic."
- "I have long believed that if my birthmother’s abortion would have taken place at a Planned Parenthood, I would not be here today. Completing over 300,000 abortions a year provides them with the experience to make sure that 'failures' like me don’t happen. As a fellow American, as a fellow human being, I deserved the same right to life, the same equal protection under the law as each and every one of you. Yet we live in a time where not only do such protections not exist, but my own tax dollars and yours go to fund an organization that has perfected the very thing that was meant to end my life."
Women need to know the truth about Planned Parenthood and abortion, and the unborn need voices who are willing to speak up for them. Please share Gianna and Melissa's stories to help make their voices heard. To learn more about what Planned Parenthood is doing behind closed doors and how you can join the fight to #DefundPP and redirect its taxpayer subsidies to the thousands of better healthcare options for women and families, click here.